If a non-speaking character has been manually added to a scene, it must be manually removed or edited to reflect changes made to the script later (such as deleting a character from a scene or changing a character's name).
To remove a non-speaking character from a scene:
- Open your file;
- Go to Tools > Show Navigator to bring up the Navigator window (if it's not already open);
- Click on the Characters tab;
- Select a scene in the Navigator list;
- In the box at the lower left, all characters in the scene will be listed. If a character has dialogue in the scene, they will have a dialogue bubble next to their name. If a character has been inserted as a non-speaking character, they will have a dialogue bubble with a red X next to their name;
- Select the non-speaking character you want to remove;
- Click the minus sign (Mac) or Remove (Windows) to remove the non-speaking character.
Once you've removed the unwanted non-speaking character(s) from any scenes they're in, the reports will be accurate.
Final Draft 12 has a command to quickly remove a non-speaking character from a script.