IMPORTANT: This article applies to Final Draft 12 / 11 / 10 only. FD9 and older cannot be activated or reactivated on any computer. The installers for FD9 and older are no longer available and all support for these versions has been discontinued.
For instructions on how to move or copy FD12 / 11 / 10 to another computer, watch this video...
...or read this article...
Don't copy an installation to another computer -- if you do it won't work right. An installed copy of Final Draft is more than the program folder that's visible on your hard drive in Applications (Mac) or Program Files (Windows). A number of other crucial program components are installed to various places in the operating system and unless they're also copied to the target computer, the program won't have everything it needs to run properly.
You can put a fresh install of Final Draft on as many computers as you want so there's no need, ever, to copy an installation from (for example) your old computer to your new computer. Instead, use the installer. Full installers are available HERE (choose your operating system and your version of Final Draft).
You do want to move the activation off that computer to make it available for the other computer.
- Open Final Draft on the computer from which you want to move / copy it.
- Go to Help > Deactivate and follow the prompts to deactivate. This takes the activation off the computer and holds it in your account on our server, ready to be downloaded onto the other computer.
- Download the Final Draft installer onto the other computer. The full installers are available HERE.
- Launch the program and follow the prompts to activate.
- If there is no prompt to activate, go to Help > Activate.
- If you are prompted to register and you have already registered, choose Register Later.
If you still receive a message saying that you have no more activations, visit the activation reset page here: https://www.finaldraft.com/self-service-activation/.
NOTE: Activation service for Final Draft 9 has been discontinued and this version of Final Draft is no longer activatable (or re-activatable) to run in full mode on any computer. The program will continue to work but only on a computer that is already activated and only if nothing is done to the computer that will deactivate it (such as an OS upgrade or a replacement hard drive).
Technical support (phone, chat and email) for Final Draft 9 and older is no longer available.