This can occur on computers running 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Some file names are too long to display in Final Draft, so the files need to be renamed with shorter names.
To do this:
- Quit the program;
- Open a Finder window and go to your Applications folder;
- Open the Final Draft 8 folder; (If you bought Final Draft 8 from the Mac App Store, skip to step 4)
- Hold the control key on your keyboard and click the Final Draft icon;
- Click Show Package Contents;
- Go to Contents > MacOS > Data > Stationery > Scripts;
- Find the longest script names and rename them. For instance, rename: Dramatists Guild Traditional Stageplay.fdxt To: DG Trad Stageplay.fdxt;
- Repeat this for the following templates:
- Screenplay (Warner Brothers).fdxt
- Dramatists Guild Modern Stageplay.fdxt
- Shorten the names of these files and any other templates you were not able to see in Final Draft;
- Relaunch Final Draft;
- Go to File > New From Stationery; choose the Scripts category and you should now see the templates display correctly.
IMPORTANT: Live technical support (phone, chat, email) forFinal Draft 8 has been discontinued. You will still be able to find
information and solutions in this knowledge base and in the FD8 User Guide.