There is a defect in some Xerox printer drivers for Mac which can prevent Final Draft from printing a particular script: These drivers do not support print jobs with more than 10 custom print settings.
Final Draft includes two print options which can easily have more than 10 custom print settings and which can cause the /Library/Printers/Xerox/Filters/pstophaserps failure message. These options are Character Sides and Revisions. Almost all templates in Final Draft 8 come pre-populated with industry-standard revision sets and there are more than 10 revision sets on this list. Another situation in which this printing error can occur is if your script has more than 10 speaking characters.
This issue has been reported to Xerox and until they post a driver that addresses the problem, the simplest workaround is to save the script as a PDF and print the PDF. For information on saving a script as a PDF, click HERE.
An alternative method is to remove unnecessary revisions from your script and clear the Characters from the SmartType list. To do this:
- Go to Production > Revisions and delete all but the first 10 revision sets;
- Click OK to close the Revisions dialog;
- Go to Document > SmartType and choose Characters from the dropdown menu;
- If you have more than 10 names on this list, delete all of the names;
- Click OK and you should be able to print your script.
After the printing has been completed:
- Go to Document > SmartType, choose Characters from the dropdown menu and click Rebuild;
- Click OK and your Character SmartType list will be repopulated.
IMPORTANT: Live technical support (phone, chat, email) for Final Draft 8 will end on December 31, 2017. You will still be able to find information and solutions in this knowledge base, in the online troubleshooter and in the FD8 User Guide.